ABOUT

Monday 29 September 2014

Simplicity 1668 floral dress


OUTFIT DETAILS

DRESS - Made by me
SHOES - Vintage from 1940s (Etsy)
HAT (on down photos) - Vintage from 1940s/50s (Etsy)
PURSE - I have it since 90s


Gosh... it was a long time since I wrote my last blog post. After dad passed away I froze and couldn't socialize for a long time. I dove deep into a dark blue water of a vast Ocean and was there for a long time. But I made some crafting. I've been knitting, sewing, reading and praying. Thank God I wasn't depressed, I was just very introspective. That happens sometimes with me, when I need to put everything into perspective.

Meu Deus... já faz bastante tempo desde a última vez que escrevi aqui no blog. Depois do meu pai ter falecido, congelei e não consegui socializar por muito tempo. Mergulhei bem fundo num vasto Oceano de água azul escura e fiquei lá por muito tempo. Mas fiz algumas coisas. Tenho tricotado, costurado, lido e orado. Graças a Deus não fiquei depressiva, somente bastante introspectiva. O que acontece algumas vezes comigo quando preciso colocar tudo em perspectiva.


I thought it was the right decision to post about this dress now. The day my dad passed away I was sewing this dress when the phone rang... So, I couldn't finish this project for a very long time because it just reminded me of the pain that I went through on that day that my dear father left us.

Pensei que seria a escolha certa postar sobre este vestido agora. No dia em que o meu pai faleceu estava a costurar este vestido quando o telefone tocou... Portanto, não consegui terminar este projecto por muito tempo, porque simplesmente lembrava-me a dor que passei no dia em que o meu pai nos deixou.


Three months later here it is, the finished project. This is my second sewing project and my very first dress! I encountered many difficulties and I think I should chosen a easier dress. But now it's done, and to tell the truth I'm quite satisfied with the final result. But oh boy... if I need to master those lines! :O)

Três meses depois aqui está ele, o projecto terminado. Este é o meu segundo projecto de costura e o meu primeiríssimo vestido! Encontrei muitas dificuldades e penso que devia ter escolhido um vestido mais simples. Mas agora está feito, e para dizer a verdade estou bastante satisfeita com o resultado final. Mas menina... se preciso dominar aquelas linhas! :O)


The dress is the scalloped edge one from Simplicity 1668, from the forties. Is feminine and fun!

O vestido é o das bordas recortadas da Simplicity 1668, dos anos 40. É feminino e divertido!


I planned to show you each step while I was sewing it. But I lost all my will power, my dear readers. Sorry. But you can see above how I spread the pieces and then I traced them out on the fabric with a pencil.

Planeava mostrar todos os passos do projecto em quanto fazia. Mas perdi a vontade toda, meus queridos leitores. Desculpem. Mas podem ver em cima como espalhei os moldes e depois tracei no tecido com lápis.


The fabric is a lovely medium weight cotton. Easy to cut and to sew. And the flowers are so lovely!

O tecido é de um algodão maravilhoso. Fácil de cortar e de costurar. E as flores são tão queridas!


One of the difficult parts for me was doing the gatherings. But it was fun to learn!

Uma das partes dificeis para mim foi fazer os franzidos. Mas foi bastante divertido de aprender!


I would like to have taken photographs outdoors in the garden but has been gray sky and rainy. But on the next Spring I will have more opportunities. I can wear these accessories above, hat, purse, shoes, belt and flowers on my hair of course! One of my favorite hats are the conical ones from the 40s and 50s! This one is vintage of course. Looks well with a cute straw purse like the one shown above, vintage inspiration.

Gostaria de ter tirado fotografias num jardim lá fora, mas o tempo tem estado cinzento e de chuva. Mas na próxima Primavera terei mais oportunidades. Poderei usar com estes accessórios em cima, chapéu, mala, sapatos, cinto e flores no cabelo claro! Um dos meus chapéus favoritos são os cónicos dos anos 40 e 50! Este é vintage claro. Fica bem com malas de palha como esta em cima, de inspiração vintage.




Certainly this dress will be one that has a strong mark on it. Is my first dress as a sewing project and will carry strong memories with it. Let's see which type of memory and what new feelings will bring me next year!

Certamente este vestido será sempre marcante para mim. É o meu primeiro vestido como projecto de costura e carrega memórias fortes com ele. Vamos ver que tipo de memória e que novos sentimentos trará para o próximo ano!



Miss Beta xx

16 comments:

  1. Olá Beta querida! ^_^
    Fico muito feliz de ver você blogando novamente! Imagino o quanto deve ter sido difícil e triste lhe dar com a perda de uma pessoa amada e querida, então força sempre! Amei o seu primeiro projeto de costura, está perfeito e suas fotos estão maravilhosas! Eu não conseguiria costurar nada assim, ainda estou engatinhando nas costuras, mas espero que em breve eu seja capaz de fazer algo tão bonito quanto esse vestido que você fez e por ser o primeiro eu achei lindo e perfeito apesar das dificuldades que você mencionou! PS: Não sabia que você tinha uma lojinha no Esty, é bom saber. Vou listar na minha página de Vintage Shop & Sources! <3

    Um grande beijo! xxx

    vintagepri.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olá querida Pri! :-)

      Obrigada pelas tuas palavras preciosas para mim. Para mim é muito importante ser abraçada em momentos difceis como esse e certamente o fui por ti minha amiguinha. Também amei o teu lacinho! Que fofo!

      Beijinhos xxxxxxxxx
      Miss Beta

      Delete
  2. Não conhecia seu blog, gostei muito! Acabei de ver no Vintage & Retrô Bloggers e vim conferir... Lindo vestido, gostei da estampa e o modelo é uma graça, o look todo ficou belíssimo! I'm sorry about your dad, be strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olá Larissa! Obrigada pelo teu simpático comentário. Fico tão contente com a tua visita e especialmente que tenhas gostado. Muito obrigada pela força, de coração! :-)

      Visitarei o teu blog em breve!
      Beijinhos xxx

      Miss Beta

      Delete
  3. What a lovely dress, it's so sweet. I think you did a marvellous job with it. ♡

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bonita! :)
      Is such a honour to have you here. I love your blog!

      I'm so happy that you like my dress. You know, do you know when a baby is learning to walk the first steps? It feel insecure and clumsy. Is the same in the moment with me on sewing. But is such a great feeling to be able to make things and wear them. What a great power we have! ;o)

      xxxxxx,
      Miss Beta

      Delete
  4. Beta!!

    Your dress looks absolutely amazing! You did a great job and I am so happy that you posted pictures of it! I always appreciate your ability to match every part of your outfit. I have noticed that vintage enthusiasts often mix and match styles from different decades that don't really match, but I honestly like the way you do it best. I think staying true to only one period of time or time periods that compliment one another is the best way to create a classy, authentic look that does not seem like a costume. Perhaps I am Type A about things like this, but I'm sure you understand. Styles from the '40s really suit you! I have extremely broad square shoulders, so I don't think they would look as good on me--unless I want to look like an American football player! :O) Congratulations on completing a beautiful dress! I'm looking forward to seeing all of your future projects.

    Your friend,
    :O) Danielle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, my sweet friend... :)
      What nice compliments! Thank you so much for your kinds words. Late 30s, 40s and some of early 50s are my favourite periods in fashion. Although, I don't have many vintage garments from that periods. I only discover these periods last year through knitting. And my budget is tiny! :o)

      But I think you are right, 40s seems to suit me. I also love it, because I'm simple. I like simplicity but feminine in the same time, and some tiny points of sophistication (which I'm still getting used to it). On my daily basis I always wear skirts and cute tops, and mainly saddle shoes type. Comfortable but feminine! ;o)

      But my wardrobe is very limited yet, so... many projects ahead!

      And dear Danielle, I think you wouldn't look like an American football player! I've seen many photographs in vintage magazines with your body type and looks wonderful too, not exaggerated at all. For example, I think this dress here would look lovely on you! On me, needed shoulders pads, so I sewn them as the indications told me so. Perhaps you could save shoulders pads! :o) You know, I think you had the right figure for 40s! That's how they idealized it ;o)

      Miss Beta xxxx

      PS - oh... you should see the dress inside, it doesn't look that good! I need to learn so much. I think practise will master straight lines.

      Delete
  5. It looks wonderful! Such a great style and fabric pattern. It really does suit you! Remember that other people don't see the struggles we had with our sewing :) I have been making some clothes and each one has something that went wrong that I can see, but others don't notice them at all :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wise words dear Tanith! :-)
      Only us see it, with big eyes the terrible mistakes and imperfections of our makes. Sometimes we shouldn't give so much importance to it, just try do make better next time. When I was younger (and even sometimes now with certain things), I decide not to do it if I think is not going to be perfect. This is a tendency that I'm breaking since last year... otherwise I never make anything! :o)

      I love your genuine vintage 50s hats collection! Very pretty :)
      Gentle hugs for baby in the cocoon <3 :)

      Miss Beta xxxx

      Delete
  6. My very dear Beta, please forgive me for not commenting on this post and about your utterly stellar dress sooner. This entry was posted while we were on holiday and escaped my watchful eye somehow when we got home. I do apologize and wouldn't want you to think that I was bowled over by your beautiful handmade frock and how you've styled it - complete with vintage shoes (lucky lady!).

    Oodles of hugs & thanks for your fantastic blog comments this week,
    ♥ Jessica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, sweet Jessica, please do not apologize! I write so little on my blog and only time to time, so is very easy to miss things out. Don't you ever worry a thing, sweet darling. Thank you so much for your love and comments! :)

      Hugs,
      Miss Beta

      Delete
  7. lovely dress and super adorable shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your lovely comment. I'm so glad you done it because like this I discovered your wonderful blog! :)

      Beta x

      Delete
  8. lindo o vestido e a memória dele.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olá Cecilia! Fico muito tocada que tenhas gostado de ler a história intrínseca a este vestido. Para mim é muito importante.

      Fiquei feliz por descobrir o teu blogue, onde voltarei amanhã com mais tempo. Mas li á última publicação e achei deliciosa. Que avó, hein! O teu estudo de doutoramento é muito interessante, fiquei encantada. Tenho muitas memórias de infância, e guardo-as como se de tesouros se tratassem.

      Por favor, volta mais vezes!

      Um beijo de Portugal,
      Beta

      Delete

Thank you so much for your comments and thoughts. I appreciate each word and I look forward to read more about you. Come to visit more times! ;-)
..........................................................................................................................................
Muito obrigada pelos teus comentários e pensamentos. Cada palavra é apreciada e espero lêr mais sobre ti. Vem visitar-me mais vezes! :-)

Miss Beta